Special Educational Needs & Disabilities



Supporting your child at The Forest View Academy

If you have any worries about your child’s specific needs please talk to your child’s class teacher in the first instance. Mrs McCarthy as SENCo is happy to meet with you and can often help you to find the right service in the community to help with particular issues. Please call the school office to arrange an appointment or email send@forestviewacademy.co.uk

Please refer to the ‘Local Offer’ page to find out more about how The Forest View Academy supports children with SEND.


Requesting a statutory education, health and care assessment

A parent/carer, a young person in their own right, or any professional working with a child, young person or family can make a referral for an EHC Statutory Assessment, however it is usually expected that the following will apply:

  • The child or young person has severe and/or complex long term needs that affect everyday life and functioning
  • The child/ young person requires provision and resources that are not normally available
  • Intensive help and support is required from more than one agency
  • There is evidence of a graduated response from the school and other agencies involved in supporting the child/ young person
  • Despite high levels of support, the child/ young person is making limited or no progress.

If all other levels of support have been accessed by partners but the child/young person’s education is still being affected, then a referral for a statutory EHC Assessment can be made by contacting:

Integrated Children’s Disability Service Assistant Team

Email: icds.duty@nottscc.gov.uk


Available support

The government has listened to what parents say about their experiences of what services are like and have put in place a number of things to bring about improvements. One of these is the Local Offer.

Local authorities and other services set out a local offer of all services available to support children who are disabled or who have SEND and their families. This easy-to-understand information for parents and young people will sets out what is normally available to help children with lower-level SEND, as well as the options available to support families who need additional help to care for their child.

You can read detailed information about how The Forest View Academy can help your child if he or she has Special Educational needs and/or disablilities in the following The Forest View Academy SEND Local Offer Policy below.